Working Time Directive
The European Working Time Directive has been fully implemented across the NHS and applies to all staff. Main features of the legislation are:
- An average of 48 hours working time each week
- 11 hours continuous rest in 24 hours
- 24 hours continuous rest in 7 days (or 48 hours in 14 days)
- Minimum 20 minute break, if working a shift of 6 hours or more. (30 minutes every 4 hours in line with New Deal)
- A minimum of 5.6 weeks annual leave (pro-rata if part time)
- An average of no more than 8 hours work in 24 (for night workers)
All employees wishing to undertake additional work activities (above an average of 48 hours a week) are required to declare these to the Trust by completing a EWTD Opt Out Form.
For further information on EWTD, Indemnity, New Deal and Junior Doctor Monitoring please see below guidance.